Zero Rust is a direct-to-metal, phenolic modified-alkyd rust and corrosion control coating which puts down an impermeable barrier at the steel level. Â It is chemical, heat, and abrasion resistant, thus providing superior rust control. Â UnderÂ ASTM-B117 salt spray testing, Zero Rust exceeded 2000 hours of continuous salt spray at 3.5 mils dry film thickness (dft). Â This equates to 600 hours per dry mil, which was previously unheard of in an air-dry system.
As a rule of thumb,Â Zero Rust should provide five years protection for every 3 mils dft, given proper surface preparation. Â With the addition of a topcoat or a thicker film of Zero Rust to handle ultraviolet rays, sealing protection can easily double. Â Zero Rust can withstand intermittent temperatures of 250-300 degrees before the resin starts baking out. Â Maintenance of a Zero Rust paint job is easy â€“ just scuff surface with sandpaper before re-coating.
Zero Rust Advantages:
- Provides maximum adhesion to steel â€“ this is called chemical affinity.
- Extraordinary dielectric ability â€“ steel is isolated from the electrolysis process which converts steel to rust. Â In laymen’s terms, this means that if you can starve the oxygen from the substrate, oxidation (rust) cannot occur.
- Easy-to-use, single package convenience eliminates mixing as in 2-part epoxy paints, allowing leftovers to be stored, not trashed
- Outperforms epoxy with no time constraints and easy touch-ups
- 40% harder than epoxy and 25% harder than urethane, yet does not get brittle
- Easy clean-up with xylene or lacquer thinner
- Longer shelf life than the competition
- High solids content for superior coverage and performance
- Environmentally friendly, low in volatile organic compounds (VOC’s)
- Safe to use – contains no lead, barium, isocyanates or epichlorohydrins
- Can be used either as a primer or satin finish final coat
- Can be used on metal, concrete or wood
- 866 square feet per gallon per dry mil (.001 inch)
- 288 square feet per gallon for recommended 3 mils of dft
Zero Rust is a fast-dry coating which dries to the touch in 30 minutes and is tack-free within one hour, depending upon relative humidity and temperature. NOTE: Drying time can also be affected by film thickness, flash-off time between coats, amount of thinning and air movement.